Join us on sample date
Join us on sample date
About The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research (MJFF) exists to eliminate Parkinson's disease in our lifetime.
- The Foundation is the world's largest nonprofit funder of Parkinson's research.
- Since its founding in 2000, the Foundation has funded more than $900 million in global research.
- 88 cents of every dollar spent goes straight to programs to speed a cure for Parkinson's.
- Learn more about the Foundation and ways to get involved in our mission at michaeljfox.org.
About Parkinson’s disease
- Parkinson's disease (PD) is a chronic, degenerative neurological disorder that affects one in 100 people over age 60.
- Parkinson's is the second most common neurodegenerative disorder after Alzheimer's.
- While the average age at onset is 60, some people are diagnosed at 40 or younger.
- An estimated 6 million people worldwide (and 1 million people in the United States) are living with Parkinson's disease.
- There is no objective test, or biomarker, for Parkinson's disease, so the rate of misdiagnosis can be relatively high.
- Everyone gets their own version of Parkinson’s disease. The cardinal symptoms of Parkinson's disease are resting tremor, slowness of movement and rigidity. Many people also experience balance problems. Non-motor symptoms can include depression, cognitive impairment, digestive issues, fatigue, and insomnia, among others.
- There is no cure for Parkinson's and current treatments are limited in their ability to address patients' medical needs and remain effective over time.
About the Fox Trot 5K Run/Walk Series
Inspired by our community, The Michael J. Fox Foundation established the Fox Trot 5K Run/Walk Series in 2017. These family-friendly events connect those living with Parkinson’s, their loved ones, supporters and community partners.
Collectively, the Series has raised nearly $2 million and united over 8,000 participants across the country. One hundred percent of the funds raised through the Fox Trot 5K Series goes directly to MJFF’s high-impact programs to speed better treatments and a cure for Parkinson’s.
Other Ways to Get Involved and Help Speed a Cure
- Contribute to data about living with Parkinson’s through Fox Insight. Register for this online clinical study and answer surveys every 90 days about your health. Anyone can participate worldwide at foxinsight.org.
- Participate in clinical trials by creating a profile with Fox Trial Finder. Learn more at foxtrialfinder.org.
- Advocate for government policies that accelerate drug development and reduce barriers to care and support services. Learn more at michaeljfox.org/policy.
- Organize a local fundraising event or participate in an official race with Team Fox. Be part of a community from all over the globe that are turning their passions into successful community-led fundraisers to benefit MJFF. Get inspired at teamfox.org.
- Grab your helmet and join the Tour de Fox Cycling Series. Thousands of dedicated cyclists are part of MJFF’s Tour de Fox community, established in 2016. Join us on the road in British Columbia, Sonoma and Atlanta. Find out more at tourdefox.org.